What is Rebonding?
Each type of hair has a natural bond. Curly or wavy, are the result of natural bonds that give the hair its physical quality. The cream softener or relaxer used in the rebonding treatment breaks the hair structure. Then a neutralizer bonds the structure again and makes hair straight. In simpler terms the rebonding treatment changes your natural hair structure and restructures it.
Once your hair is straightened you have to touch up the new growth every three months, six months or a year, depending upon your growth
What is the Keratin Booster Treatment?
The Keratin Booster does not weaken the cuticles.
There is a big difference with Keratin Booster and Relaxers. When you relax, you break 2 of the bonds that coat the 3 layers of the hair (Cuticle, Cortex and Medulla). So, basically you are left with 1 layer of protection, whereas with Keralove Keratin Booster, the bonds are not broken. When chemical bonds are broken, hair is vulnerable to breakage, scientifically speaking: your hair is dead. Keratin Booster does not change the physical properties of the hair; it was made to rearrange its physical properties, giving you a softer curl pattern.
The 3 Layers of the Hair:
The Process of Rebonding
The time taken to complete a rebonding treatment depends upon the length, type and thickness of your hair. In hair till the mid back can take about 8 hours or more to be rebonded. A man’s hair might need 3 hours. Here’s the step by step approach to rebonding:
1. Hair is washed with a mild shampoo. No conditioner is applied. Hair is dried completely with a blow dryer keeping it on the medium level.
2. Hair is separated into parts. The cream softener or relaxer is applied to every hair shaft, keeping it straight. A thin plastic board is used to keep hair straight.
3. Cream softener or relaxer is kept on hair for at least half an hour or depending upon the hair type. Keeping it for too long may even harm hair. After that hair is steamed for 10 to 40 minutes, depending upon hair type and condition, and then rinsed.
4. Hair is blow dried and then keratin lotion is applied.
5. A flat iron is used to straighten hair further and break any remaining curls. The iron should not exceed 180 degrees. A ceramic iron is better than other metal irons. The salon expert will iron your hair until it is satisfactorily straight and shiny.
6. Hair is again parted and a neutralizer is applied to set the bonds and stabilize the hair.
7. The neutralizer is kept for at least 30 minutes.
8. The neutralizer is rinsed off with cold water. Hair is blow dried and hair serum is applied. A last touch of ironing is given with the straightening iron. Hair appears silky straight and shiny.
A salon professional will restrict you from washing your hair for minimum three days. It allows the treatment to set. You will be asked not to clip your hair, tie a rubber band or wear any other accessories in your hair for minimum three days. Wearing a shower cap while having a bath is also advisable, to prevent hair from becoming wet.
The Process of Keratin Booster
- Wearing gloves split hair into 4 sections and apply Keratin Booster Pre-Treatment over each section starting at the nape of the neck.
- Comb each section to ensure complete coverage, starting 1cm (0.4″) from the scalp. Allow to remain on the hair for 15 minutes.
- Rinse hair with warm water until all chemical is removed.
- Apply Purifying Shampoo to wet hair. Work into a rich lather.
- Rinse with warm water and repeat until all traces of Keratin Booster Pre-Treatment are removed. Then, follow the Keratin application process.
You can wash your hair immediately after the application process. There is no wait period.
Sign up for my mailing list.