I want to share a few comments I hear with frequency from women with very resistant hair, tight curls or African –American hair:

• “I never wear my hair down because it’s a way to dealing with my insecurities about my hair”
  • “My hair is tightly coiled like a “z” pattern, very fragile. It is also poufy and frizzy which makes it look more like a “Brillo pad” than like hair!”
  • “I have tried different styling techniques but my hair is very resistant to styling.”
  • “I’ve noticed guys would not touch my hair, it makes me feel sad because it’s something every girls loves”
  • “It will make me happy to simply have the ability to have my hair look natural, soft and be able to style it!”

Fortunately stories like these can be changed:

Options for African American Hair or Resistant Hair

Women with very resistant hair, tight curls or African –American hair, often wish they could have soft, straight hair. Although Hair Relaxers have always been an option, and you may have heard that Keratin Treatments do not work on Resistant Hair or on tight curls,  Keratin Treatments can be effective in this type of hair if you apply a pre-treatment keratin booster before applying keratin.

Hair Relaxers

Duration

The duration of the application process depends on the texture of the hair and the clock starts counting from the moment the application starts, the average is 15 minutes. The effects stay on the hair depending on different factors, like the chemicals used and the frequency of the application. After a hair relaxer has been applied for the first time, you will need to do touch-ups, which means that you will need to apply more chemicals into your hair. According to SkinBiology.com, touch-ups should only be performed every six to eight weeks, depending on the condition of hair and its growth rate. This does not mean, however, that hair relaxers only remain in the hair for this six to eight week period. The chemical applied to hair will remain in varying amounts until the processed areas have been physically cut off. Since hair grows roughly half and inch per month, it would take a person with 12 inches of hair close to two years before a relaxer completely grows out.

Risks

The active ingredient in most Drugstore Relaxers is Sodium Hydroxide, also known as Lye, and is also the active ingredient in Drain Cleaners. There are some No-Lye Relaxers, but these are similarly bad for you.

The famous TV doctor: Dry Oz did a demonstration to show how dangerous Relaxers can be.  He poured the liquid found in the product onto a piece of paper, and then he added powder which is like Lye, and you could see the chemicals burning right through the paper. The paper represents your scalp and the damage that can be done if not used correctly.  It is very dangerous to leave relaxers on for too long.

Cost

The service to apply Hair Relaxers Can cost anywhere from $65 to $85 dollars, It depends on where you have the service done.

Keratin Treatment

Duration

In the case of Keralove Keratin, the application process can last from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours depending on the length and thickness of the hair. However, there are some other keratin treatments that require you to stay with the Keratin lotion on without washing hair for 72 hours. The effects of the Keralove Keratin treatment will last 3 to 4 months depending of the care you give to your hair. It is recommended to use Sulfate Free Shampoos which help keep the treatment on the hair for a longer time, if you go to the beach or pool frequently the treatment will last less time.

Risks

Some keratin treatments contain Formaldehyde. Make sure you find out the percentages contained in a keratin before applying at the salon or online. Keralove Keratin contains less than 2% of Formaldehyde and it does not expel fumes or uncomfortable odors. Keralove publishes the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) online with the percentages which are very low and therefore is not absorbed into the skin. One way to tell if a keratin contains high levels of Formaldehyde is if you notice a strong smell that is unbearable or if you notice your eyes start burning , or if the stylist flat-irons on the hair for only a few times as opposed to the 5 to 10 times required for a low level Formaldehyde.

Cost

Depending on the length of hair being treated, salon-style Brazilian Keratin Treatments services run from about $150 to $300 dollars a session, and require redoing every three to five months depending on how often the hair is shampooed.

If you have resistant hair or tight curls, it is possible that your stylist may offer you a high Formaldehyde level keratin in order for the keratin to work. But you do not have to apply a high Formaldehyde keratin to your hair or damage it with the harmful chemicals from hair relaxers. Keralove has just launched a product for those types of hair: Keratin Booster Pre-Treatment: It is a Pre-Treatment meant to be applied before applying the Keratin Treatment that prepares the hair to receive the benefits of the keratin. The results are wonderful and the Pre-Treatment does not contain harmful chemicals. You can apply any color treatment to the hair immediately after; you do not need to wait 2-4 weeks unlike Hair Relaxers.

The greatest benefit of the keratin treatment is that it really cuts down time spent drying the hair, you may have heard that it does not work on tight curls , resistant or black hair but thanks to the keratin booster, the keratin works on those types of hair.

Do you have any questions? Post them in the comment section below.

References:

How Long Does a Hair Relaxer Stay in Hair? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5447497_long-hair-relaxer-stay-hair.html#ixzz1mIiRZGUK

34 Responses to Options for African-American Hair: Hair Relaxers Vs. Keratin Treatments

1. sandy says:

when I relax-I use Mild…and leave it on for a minute or two longer than it takes to apply-in other words it’s on and it’s off.
    My hair is more wavy than kinky. The problem with the booster is that there is no adjustment in time made for different types of hair…so I was afraid to use it.

Dear Sandy:
      The keralove keratin Booster pre-Treatment works for all types of hair including more curly than kinky. There is no adjustment in time for different types of hair , leave it on your hair for 15 min. It is formulated to gently straighten the hair, used in combination with keratin treatment. it does not contain harmful chemicals.
      It prepares your hair for the keratin Treatment, as long as there is no hair relaxer residue remaining in the hair. In which case I recommend waiting 2 weeks, and testing in small area.
      The Booster treatment is progressive, it will not damage or break your hair.

2. Denise says:

This is cool!

3. Raychel says:

None of these are options for African-American women. They should stop having this Eurocentric type of mentality and learn to love who they are and stop trying to look white. Changing the texture of your hair will not change who you are it will just continue to bring more damage when it comes to your self-image. Teaching your daughters that having straight hair is better then having kinky, coily, or curly hair is terrible. We were born with hair for a reason just like we were born for this skin for a reason . Learn to love your self instead of changing your self. I don’t understand why everyone wants to feel soo accepted by the White race. If your man cant accept your hair then he’s with you for the wrong reason.

Hi Raychel

Thank you for your comment! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I value and respect yours. My opinion is that when it comes to beauty or fashion its all about taste and comfort. Each individual has different tastes and life situations and we should respect each person’s decisions before making assumptions or judging.

Again thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

4. angelà says:

I got the keratin treatment done once before. But it was done on my relaxed hair. Now I wish to continue to use keratin treatment because I love the results. Do I need to keep using relaxers touch up on the new growth before doing keratin treatment. I am due for a relaxer touch up now. I have both keratin treatment kit and relaxer kit. I have planned to relax my hair and two weeks after apply keratin treatment. Advice me because I want to have healthy long hair. My hair is the kinky african type.

5. Sue says:

I have very naturally,curly/kinky hair that I usually relax myself with an african american relaxer kit and then get an express keratin treatment a week or two afterwards. Two weeks ago I had my first full keratin treatment. I love how it reduced the bulkiness in my hair, but the curl is still there in the roots and I can’t get it as straight as I could with a relaxer. I am wondering if I can use a relaxer on my hair now to permanently relax the curl – just at the root. Is that safe?

Hi Sue:
      In a relaxer the active agent is usually a strong alkali, although some formulations are based on ammonium thioglycolate instead, which the hair can be significantly weakened by the physical overlap of excessive applications or by a single excessive one, leading to brittleness, breakage, or even widespread alopecia. Therefore I recommend using something like the keratin Booster Pre- treatment which is formulated to gently straighten the hair without the harmful chemicals and prepares the hair to receive the keratin. Use it in combination with a traditional keratin treatment.

I suggest to wait at least two more weeks to do.

6. Jody Raimey says:

My 9 year old just recently got a 1st time(no lye) relaxer. But I hear that Keratin is a less harmful to the hair treatment and I am not too happy about the results. How long do I have to wait before I can have the Keratin treatment done to relatively virginal hair?

Hi Jody:
      You should wait at least 4 week before you can have the Keratin treatment done. I recommend using the keratin Booster Pre- treatment which is formulated to gently straighten the hair and prepares the hair to receive the keratin. Use it in combination with the keratin treatment.
      The keratin treatment is progressive, you should apply every three months.

7. Caitlyn says:

I’ve never had a keratin treatment done before and I think I would love it but I’m nervous. I have extremely tight ringlet curls, right now my hair is pretty healthy and with the right product not to frizzy but I hate wearing it down because I don’t like any sort of poof. Will the keratin make it so I can literally “just get up and go?” That’s what I’m looking for, no poof, just take a shower put a little gel in and be able to have it dry into wavy long non puffy hair. I know there is no guaranties but I just don’t want to do it if it’s not a possibility that it will be looser and more wavy than curlu

Hi Caitlyn
      I understand how you can feel nervous about keratin because your hair is so healthy but the truth is that the majority of keratin treatments do not contain harmful chemicals therefore there wont be damage to your hair. In your case, your hair will look less curly and more wavy after the keratin and the time it takes you to get your hair ready will decrease dramatically.

Good Luck!

8. Diana says:

Hi Olga my hair is abundant hispanic thick hair with a light frizz . Yesterday i went to a salon & explained i wanted something that would tame my hair down and give it somewhat of a sleekness to it. the stylist recommended that she apply some relaxer for a few minutes rinse it & then she would apply keratin treatment. My concern was the damage this could cause to my hair because of two processes being done at once but she assured it wouldn’t cause any damage since she would apply a light relaxer for a very short time. I accepted and after they had covered all my hair in the relaxing cream i couldn’t bare it for more than 4 minuted my scalp was burning& she quickly rinsed it out. she explained that because i had just thoroughly washed my hair before the visit that my scalp was too sensitive. After washing out my hair my scalp did not hurt anymore & she proceeded with applying the keratin treatment then blowdrying & flat ironing it.She said not to wash my hair & to return in 3 days and they will to wash out my hair & finalize the keratin process. My concern now is that this morning when I woke up as I ran my fingers trough my scalp I felt little scabs. The patches are small little red to almost dark brown looking with hard almost yellow accumulations . After some research I now know it’s scabs from the relaxer burn . They are not itchy or painful unless i touch them. What should i do? Is it best I just wash out my hair now in order to avoid infecting my scabs with the keratin that is still in my hair? Or can I wait the additional 2days to return to the salon and finalize the keratin process like the stylist has recommended? Plz help I don’t want to run the risk of having bald patches.

• Olga says:

The relaxer is not recommended to be applied at the same time with a keratin treatment. Depending on the components and the level of formaldehyde treatment of keratin can generate a chemical reaction to create a hair damage.

My advice is to avoid using hair relaxers and try applying just the keratin. Nowadays there are keratin treatments that work well with resistant hair and do not have high levels of formaldehyde. Hair relaxers can cause damage in the long term to your scalp, breakage and hair loss.

I recommend washing your hair because your scalp has scabs.

The keralove keratin Booster pre-Treatment. It is formulated to gently straighten the hair, used in combination with keratin treatment. it does not contain harmful chemicals.
      The Booster treatment is progressive, it will not damage or break your hair.

Let me know how it goes!

9. Great article. I was reviewing frequently this blog that i’m impressed! Highly useful information and facts in particular the very last aspect :) I personally manage these details a lot. I was in search of this particular details for an extended time. Thank you and all the best.

10. christine says:

Olga I love how you portray black and hispanic women with afro textured I’m about to check out a salon in my area for this service soon as opposed to some of the other brands that say we can use but don’t portray models of our race.

11. griffin says:

I went from hair relaxers to the keratin treatment n my hair is coming out. …help

Dear Griffin:
      I recommend that you not make any keratin treatment or relaxer for at least two months, only apply treatments that hydrate and revitalize the hair. A deep conditioning mask. The keratin treatment is not recommended to be applied at least four week after the relaxer. Depending on the components and the level of formaldehyde, the treatment of keratin can generate a chemical reaction to create a hair damage or loss.

Good Luck and thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

12. Nicole Swearingen says:

Hello Olga,

I am transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. While I have been deep conditioning and using natural styles, my hair has broken off drastically around the front. I have not had a perm since March. Would keratin treatments be a good option for me?

Dear Nicole:
      My advise is to avoid using hair relaxers and applying just the keratin Booster pre-treatment and keratin treatment. Hair relaxers can cause damage in the long term to your scalp, breakage and hair loss.In the Keratin process, no structural changes occur in the matrix of your hair, coats hair strand as a plastic film, closes the cuticle temporarily and keeps out moisture.The keratin treatment is progressive, to do more often, you’d get better results.

Good Luck and thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

13. JJ says:

My experience with the keratin has been horrible. I am also transitioning(10 months since my last relaxer) and a friend and my stylist suggested the nano keratin about a month ago. It’s not as some people claim an alternative to a relaxer, at least not for me. The “manageble” only lasted 2 weeks and now I have to flat iron it on extremely high heat every day to get it anywhere close to straight. which by the way is how it gets your hair straight. The chemical free and formaldehyde free claims are bs–they typically use a type of silicone that when heated at 400 degrees gives off formeldehye which is what straightens the hair (and how they can get away with saying its formaldehyde free) ever notice the fumes after you flat iron? Kinda like rotting eggs? Thats formaldehyde. Bottom line is you cannot permanently change the texture of your hair without some type of chemical. AndI wash my hair a lot more and I tend to sweat quite a bit which reverts the new growth back immediately back to natural. And all the blow drying and flat ironing is damaging my hair and doubling my styling time. I’m ready to go back to the relaxer (or cut it off and start from scratch). How long do you have to wait after a keratin to do a relaxer?

DearJJ:
      My advise is to avoid using relaxers. unfortunately with relaxers the hair structure changes, causing damage in the long term to your scalp, breakage and hair loss.Most keratin treatments contain formaldehyde, which makes a brand different from another is the level of formaldehyde content and other components that hydrates and revitalizes hair.I recommend trying to apply the keratin Booster pre-treatment and keratin treatment with low level of formaldehyde,before starting again apply relaxers. The keratin treatment is progressive, to do more often, you’d get better results.If you wash your hair more than average, so do the keratin treatment every two months.The Keratin process, no structural changes occur in the matrix of your hair, coats hair strand as a plastic film, closes the cuticle temporarily and keeps out moisture. If you decide to continue applying relaxers, you have to wait at least 4 week, because depending on the components and the level of formaldehyde of the treatment of keratin you applied, it can generate a chemical reaction to create a hair damage or loss.
      Good Luck and thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

14. JEAN JACKSON says:

I just got the Keratin treatment done. my hair is breaking so bad. I have so much new growth what can I do? can I use a daily oil or something

Dear Jean:
      we recommend our Balance system maintenance personal kit composed of Moisture Shampoo, Balance Conditioner and Leave-in Conditioner, all sulfate free products or other brand in the market with sulfate free,also we recommend Keralove Hair Mask at least twice a month. The hair mask hydrates and revitalizes hair.I do not understand why your hair is breaking, after the keratin treatment.The keratin lotion is a protein, it adds new life to dry, damaged hair, helps prevent breakage,unless the treatment you applied,it had a lot formaldehyde and few moisturizing ingredients!!
      Good Luck and thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

15. DD says:

I have natural hair and I’m interested in this product. Is this something that I can do at home? Will I have to flat iron my hair everyday? What’s the maintenance like? Will you please tell me what specific products I need to purchase? What % of formaldehyde is in your product? Thanks

Dear DD:
      This product it is for professional use,the treatment can not be applied for yourself.On virgin hair the best result will be achieved after the second application.You will not have to flat iron your hair everyday.The amount of time required to style hair and blow dry will decrease dramatically; in some cases it will just be wash and go.You should use shampoo and conditioner with sulfate free, it helps to keep the effect of keratin for a longer period of time.if you have a soft wave, I recommend keralove Keratin Treatment kit, but if you have a pretty wavy hair I recommend you keralove keratin treatment kit for Resistant hair. We have two types of keratin, a gentle with a very low level of formaldehyde and the other stronger named keralove Plus.
      Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

16. kiesha says:

Question: If you currently have a relaxer in your hair would it be wise to try the Karatin treatment?

Dear Kiesha:
      I apology for late reply. We had problems with the blog. I really recommend try the keratin treatment but you have to wait at least 4 week to use it.
      Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

17. Ollie says:

If you have color treated hair –last application on 12/21–that has caused damage to the hair/overprocessed. How soon do you need to wait to try the keratin treatment?

18. Hi Ollie

My daughter is 14, I have been relaxing & applying kerasraight for the last 2 years, before the kerastraight treatment (formaldehyde free) we were just relaxing, but her hair is past shoulder lenghth but tends to split and thin out towards the bottom,she has not relaxed for 12 weeks but she is experiencing breakage especially along the hair line… We need advice – please HELP

DEAR DELANEY,
      IT IS NORMAL SHE IS EXPERIENCING BREAKAGE ESPECIALLY ALONG THE HAIR LINE, BECAUSE THE END OF THE HAIR IS MISTREATED BY ALL RELAXING AND KERATIN TREATMENTS PREVIOUSLY PERFORMED. I ADVISE YOU TO LEAVE HER DAUGHTER CUTTING THE ENDS OF THE HAIR SLOWLY AND CONTINUE WITH KERATIN TREATMENT AND APPLY DEEP CONDITIONER TWICE A MONTH.
      GOOD LUCK AND THANKS FOR VISITING MY BLOG AND COMMENTING!!!